Julia Bartels Concerto Competition 2018
The Julia Bartles Concerto Competition is presented by the Northern Kentucky School of Music of Immanuel. This concerto competition is a biannual event for instrumental students ages 5 – 18 in the Tri-State area.
Each instrumental division has a required concerto movement. The first-place winner of each division will perform with the Northern Kentucky Youth Sinfonia and professional friends at the Final Concert and Awards Ceremony. The second- and third-place winners of each division will be presented at the Awards Ceremony.
Application Deadline: Saturday, January 6, 2018
Application fee: $50
Application form: Click here to download
Auditions: January 27-28, 2018 at Immanuel UMC, 2551 Dixie Hwy, Lakeside Park, KY 41017
Dress rehearsals at The Carnegie: Friday, February 16 (4:00- 9:00 pm) and Saturday, February 17 (12:00 - 3:00 pm)
Final Concert and Awards Ceremony: Saturday, February 17, 2018 at The Carnegie, 1028 Scott St, Covington, KY 41011 (7:00 pm). $10 at box office or online.
Divisions and Repertoire
Piano Elementary (through Grade 6)
Robert Vandall: Concertino in C Major, Movement 1 ONLY (Allegro Moderato)
Piano Intermediate (through Grade 10)
Dmitri Kabalevsky: Piano Concerto No. 3 "Youth" in D Major, Op. 50, Movement 2 ONLY (Andante con moto)
Piano Advanced (through Grade 12)
Camille Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 22, Movement 1 ONLY (Andante sostenuto)
Violin Division (through Grade 12)
Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op.26, Movement 1 ONLY (Vorspiel. Allegro moderato)
Viola Division (through Grade 12)
Paul Hindemith: Trauermusik (Song of Mourning), all four (4) Movements (Langsam, Ruhig bewegt, Lebhaft, and Choral)
Cello Division (through Grade 12)
Franz Joseph Haydn: Cello Concerto in C Major, Movement 2 ONLY (Adagio)
Flute Division (through Grade 12)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Andante in C Major for flute and orchestra, K. 315
Trumpet Division (through Grade 12)
Franz Joseph Haydn: Trumpet Concerto in E flat Major, Movement 1 ONLY (Allegro)
- All works are required to be performed by memory.
- Completed applications must be post-marked or received by Saturday, January 6, 2018 to be accepted.
- Application fees are non-refundable.
- Auditions are scheduled and grouped by division.
- Audition times will be emailed to each participant after January 6, 2018. No changes will be made to the audition schedule or the dress rehearsal schedule.
- Participants must provide 3 copies of marked music for the judges.
- Winning students are required to be available for the dress rehearsal dates (Feb 16 & 17, 2018) and the concert date (Feb 17, 2018).
Northern Kentucky School of Music of Immanuel
2551 Dixie Highway, Lakeside Park, KY 41017